Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Class

This week is one of those few times where we actually have class for four days in a row. I just got done with B day classes and am now sitting by the pool in my swimsuit soaking up the sun. It would be the perfect time to jump in the pool....except there's no water in it due to heavy wind and rough seas the past two nights. Leaving Dominica we jutted out into the Atlantic for a bit and it was really rough. Hopefully when we cross the Atlantic it will have calmed down by then...lets hope.
We are entering the Amazon tonight at 10 and we will have to go slow because its not as deep and well...its going to be awesome. I went to a seminar last night on Manaus, Brazil and it looks awesome. Now if there were only a Wal-mart there....we'd be set. I get SO hungry in the afternoons between lunch and dinner. I have a feeling I'm not eating enough. We've had some variation of pasta, potatoes, and chicken every single day for lunch and dinner for the past week. I hear there is a taco night at some point. I really hope it's soon. Laundry day was today and my bag was busting out of the seams....I had clothes in there from Nassau. I'm so excited to get laundry back.
It's very hard to get into a routine with classes here. Its pretty funny to see all the kids around the pool reading their textbooks instead of mind numbing magazines or trashy beach reads.
Yesterday I had my second class of International Marketing and we already had a pop quiz. I couldnt believe it. I really dont think I did so hot but luckily later last night I got three extra credit points for watching a movie...YES.
Today I had global popular culture where we mostly talked about advertising in Dominica the entire time along with textual analysis of photos. It was pretty fun. Then came global studies where we listened to a speaker talk about the sex trade of young 12 ear old girls in Nepal and how his non profit organization is helping them stay in school and go to "university." Lastly I had Ethnography where we mostly went over the basics of Anthropology and ethics surrounding that. Classes were interesting and now I guess I should be doing homework but I'm always wanting to check my email now....especially without facebook. I didnt really realize how addicted I was to facebook. Yikes...
 
That's it for now. Hopefully when I get to Brazil I'll be able to find some free wi-fi and I can upload some photos either here or on facebook. Thanks to everyone that reads my blog. I appreciate all the comments, keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

  1. Babe, I bet you ROCKED the pop quiz! But seriously, pop quiz on the second day is harsh! Hopefully you will get taco night soon, i know how much you love them.

    I cannot wait to see pictures, take pots along the Amazon, that will be amazing, I am sure! I love you and can't wait to talk soon.

    Love,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy, I love that you are lovin' this experience and you will learn so much. Maybe you could buy some peanut butter--good protein and doesn't need refrideratioon!I know it's not spicy but it is filling and good for you!

    ReplyDelete