Sunday, April 17, 2011

Land Ho!

After being at sea for 11 days we FINALLY saw land yesterday! We stopped in Honolulu, Hawaii from 2 to 8PM to refuel and go through United States immigration. It was so weird to go through immigration and greet U.S. officials. As I handed over my passport, they said "Welcome Home." It was really emotional for some reason and made the end of the voyage such a reality. I think it's really neat that they say that! Honolulu was beautiful! Hot and sunny. A hotel near the port was setting up some live music for some function so we were able to eat outside for dinner with some live music and watch the sunset which was awesome! Now that we're in the U.S my phone works. It's been great getting back in touch with everyone. It's really weird to have a phone again! Overnight, we traveled up the Hawaiian islands to Hilo. This morning I woke up around 8AM just as we were pulling into the harbor. The port area reminds me a lot of the port in Ghana, just a little more civilized and less sketchy. It's fairly industrial and the airport is literally a half mile away. Today we're planning on renting a car and traveling down the coast to Puna which should be a little less rainy and cloudy than Hilo, which is known as one of the rainiest cities in the U.S. Finding a beach is top on the list. More to come later but so far Hawaii is beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Ahoy, Kaitlyn,guess I won't be using that greeting much longer :( I am so happy to read that you are enjoying Hawaii and I hope you found a sunny beach to relax and take in the views.I love how the immigration folks "welcomed you home". That happened to me once and I loved it it too! Knowing that you will soon be back on land in CA is an awesome thought and seeing Chris and your family will be a wonderful thing after such an amazing journey. I can only partly imagine how great it will be seeing your friends and continuing to tell them all of your adventures! Enjoy it all, Love GAD

    ReplyDelete