Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Destination: Unknown

This morning as I stumbled my way to my 8AM class, I sat down to the sounds of people chattering about Japan. At first I thought it was just talk of the ongoing devastation in Japan and the possibility that we won't go to our intended ports of call, Kobe and Yokohama. I then realized that it was more like a buzzed excitement coming from my classmates....it was too early in the morning for them to be this talkative. As I began to wake up a little more I realized that we weren't going to Japan at all! But how did everyone know and was this just another rumor flying around the ship that got started overnight?!
 
I decided to investigate and checked my email. I found an email from Chris titled Kait's Trip to Japan....interesting.
I was directed to the semesteratsea.org website where I found this message:

ISE Cancels Call on Japan; Alternative Port to be Announced in 48-72 Hours

March 14, 2011: The Institute for Shipboard Education (ISE), in consultation with our shipboard administration, has resolved to cancel the Spring 2011 Semester at Sea voyage's call to Kobe and Yokohama, Japan on April 4 and April 7 respectively. This decision follows our careful assessment of the conditions in Japan which raise serious concerns about health and safety as well as concerns that our visit would impede relief efforts currently underway. Our assessment also takes into consideration a recent travel warning for Japan issued by the U.S. State Department. Currently, ISE and senior voyage officials are evaluating alternative ports in consideration of safety, logistics, and maximum value to the academic and field programs. Thank you for your patience during this complex process. A revised voyage itinerary will be announced on the SAS website in the next 48-72 hours. Participants who have signed up for ISE-sponsored field trips in Japan will be reimbursed.

The ISE and SAS people were apparently busy late yesterday as we SAS students were sleeping the night away! I can't quite believe the news. I was very excited to go to Japan but am very thankful that SAS and ISE has made the decision to keep us safe from the ongoing tragedy taking place. It would have been a neat experience to help in the relief efforts. I am excited to find out our port of call after China....at this point, Destination: Unknown!

According to Dean Dan, three contenders are out there right now but suggestions are being taken. The countries are, Taiwan, South Korea, and the Phillipines.

Out of those I think I would pick South Korea. At first I said no way to it, but now that I think about it...considering all the crazy things happening between North and South Korea, I doubt I'd ever be able to go there again! The Phillipines would also be interesting as the majority of our crew is from the Phillipines. This could potentially create a better understanding and relationship with our crew and would expose us to the country that they grew up in! Now if I had my choice....I'd choose Australia but I think it's a tad bit far!

The next day or so will be full of all sorts of surprises! ISE and SAS as well as faculty and staff are working really hard to make sure we are committed to our new port and that we get the most out of it!

Our Voyage Tshirts are now wrong....as they sport the Japan flag....but it will be a cool story to tell and will be a reminder of how Mother Nature is the ultimate itinerary maker and breaker!

As for now, we are on our way to Singapore. We will be there from 8AM to 9PM tomorrow March 16th.

I'll keep everyone updated about our mystery port!

Please keep the people of Japan in your thoughts and prayers...

Goodnight everyone!

 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing post Kaitlyn...Your maturity continues to amaze me and to hear you still keeping the people of Japan in your thoughts and prayers is great. I am sure that you will have a great experience, wherever you end up visiting...and we'll get a sharpie to correct your shirt! I think we should still get you a Japan flag for your collection to remember! Keep us posted and stay safe. Have a blast tomorrow/today in Singapore!

    Love you,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy, Kaitlyn, I have been away from your blog since 3/6 and have enjoyed catching up today! Holy Moly, girl, what wonderful experiences you continue to have on this SAS trip. Stay focused on your plan and tho' Japan would have been a great stop on the journey, being safe is most important. I applaud their decision to make alternative site(s) which will only add something new! Love, GAD

    ReplyDelete